But seriously, I missed you guys! I didn't have time to write a post on last weekend's endeavours and I'm sure you were all wondering what we did and how it ended up (because everyone reads my blog...duh!).
We spent last weekend building the new back and side walls of the kitchen (Tim & Mike), and constructing a bazillion Ikea cupboards and drawers (lucky me). Please don't mistake us for building experts, we have exactly no idea what we are doing. There is a lot of googling before we start; panicked youtube watching halfway through, and forth-guessing ourselves once we finish. I am so SO proud of Tim for tackling every step of this project the same way a slightly educated Golden Retriever would. I love him, even if he drools.
Ikea building station i.e. my prison for 2 days
Peek a boo!
End of last weekend, phew!
We also trading in our crappy fans that were covered in old people dust for a gorgeous, simple new Hunter Pacific Intercept ceiling fan. We will be installing matt black versions in the bedrooms a bit later on, along with the downlights.
Ahem, ignore the patches and the mess and concentrate on those sexy, sexy lights waiting to be popped up into the ceiling once painting has finished. This is the view down the newly extended hallway towards the separate study.
Timmy the plasterer. Yeah, he totally knows what he's doing.
The study - back wall of kitchen. This will eventually be covered in floor-to-roof white cupboards that will become our new linen closet
Again with the sexy lights!!!
Waiting for the plaster to dry so we can sand and put on another coat
Keeping in mind what I said (or wrote?) earlier, we pretty much figured out how to patch and plaster as we went. We used two different types of readymade joint compound when it became apparent the 6L container we knicked from Tim's mum (sorry Ellen!! & thanks!!) was NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH to plaster our walls & ceiling. We found the Gyprock brand to be quite thick, however once watered down a teenytiny bit, it was the perfect consistency and went on super smoothly.
To patch the old ceiling light and old fan switch holes, we purchased metal patches from the plastering section at Bunnings and basically followed the instructions. Once it became VERY apparent I suck at plastering (I have many talents, but apparently this isn't one of them), Tim took over feathering these patches into the wall and once painted you shouldn't be able to tell they were ever there. So of course I will point them all out to you if you come visit.
NEW FLOORBOARDS. You're welcome.
Best moment of the past week - conquering the Rangehood cabinet construction with only minor jigsaw related terror
Not so great moment of the past week - Realising that even with a stepladder that my perfect boyfriend purchased for me, I still have to stand on my tiptoes to reach our standard 243cm ceiling #midgetlyf